Pages

Tuesday, September 26

fugue


/fjug/ noun
1. Music a polyphonic composition based upon one, two, or even more themes which are enunciated by the several voices or parts in turn, subjected to contrapuntal treatment, and gradually build up into a complex form having somewhat distinct divisions or stages of development and a marked climax at teh end.

2. Psychology a period of loss of memory, when the individual disappears from his or her usual haunts.

I have a few things to say on this extract from the Macquarie dictionary from australia ... the use of the word haunts ... how gorgeous that someone can hang out in a section of their brain ... like the local billiard hall in your skull ... but then one day you strip off all of your grey matter and wander off butt naked into the bush in a fuguelike state and psychosis.

the other thing I want to say is that the description in section '1' was absolutely beautiful ... as is Bach's fugue ... though at times slightly clinical ... as is Bach's fugue, and I think that it may indeed be a worthwhile endeavour to create a modern fugue based in themes and effects that are at hand today ... wires and pedals and amplifiers.

Having been somewhat obssessed for some time with Steve Reich's phases and other such hypnotic repetitious and boringly gripping works of art/rubbish I think it that it's time I utilise the fact that I was brought up in a choir loft at the local Catholic Church with the second largest organ in Australia and catapult myself into a psychological fugue that will take me from my useless usual haunts and take us all to places we've never ever ever been before

... just let me get this album out of the way first then I'll move onto this next phase ... I mean fugue .... hm ... shit joke.

jxo

No comments: